Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Moving Forward

Where am I now and how has the MAPP helped me as a teacher.

I feel as though I have learned through the process of the MAPP that my skills as a teacher have developed more layers, textures and depth. I instead of my previous thinking of "this is how it is done" I am continually exploring more questions such as "How else could it be done", "Is this the best way of doing things?", "Is there a best way of doing things?". I now approach my teaching from a step back, I try to both exist in the immediate space, as well as remove some of my thinking from the immediate space and adopt a more objective approach looking to understand what is really happening at the moment vs. what could be happening at the moment.

I am constantly looking for more information or clues and using the found data to further my intuition and understanding of what learning could look like at its finest standard (whatever that might be).

As dancers, we are trained to be perfectionists in our art form, and even perhaps ourselves. I feel as though this trained instinct continues within me as I continue to learn and develop myself as a teacher. Upon successful completion of the MAPP, I have continued to read, re-read, and search for more relevant sources in the fields of narrative inquiry, grounded theory, etc. (qualitative research in general) which will help me to do self-directed research projects with the purpose of keeping myself continually alert to the objectively "naked" possibility of what might be happening, here and now at the moment. These skills I feel are essential to help me develop myself further as a teacher throughout my teaching existence.

I have also discovered for myself the massive amounts of knowledge buried within the examples of other studies within the textbooks contained within the MAPP reading lists, and I continue to find the information very interesting which makes me inclined to continue being engaged with and makes me feel excited by the idea of further learning. Some of the other tools I have adopted from the reading material from the MAPP in order to help with my continued learning are: keeping a constant learning journal in which I try to continue to practice the art of deep reflection, objective analysis of what I feel "sense" within as many areas that define myself as a teacher which I am able to personally identify, Narrative inquiry and seeking help from others learning about the various opinions, views, and perspectives held by them, and using this pieces of information to obtain more of a broader perspective myself into what may be occurring.

Through my experience this last year, I feel as though I have gained further insight for myself into what helps us as beings continue to learn once an individual who has obtained a lifetime of learned experience dies. I think as though this is where the importance of us as beings leaving behind an artifact which has been imbued or embodied with our knowledge, understanding, and experience, is greatly beneficial for future generations of beings to pick up the learning and experience where the individual or group of individuals has left off, which would be demonstrated within the construction of their artifact which they chose to leave for others to continue to learn from. 

I will continue to post on this MAPP blog throughout my development as a teacher, and learner. Hopefully, I will continue to be able to discuss with others through their blogs as well, far beyond the timeframe of the MAPP program of which we were a part of.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Moving Forward

Where am I now and how has the MAPP helped me as a teacher. I feel as though I have learned through the process of the MAPP that my skills...