Monday, October 1, 2018

After Skype meeting September 30, 2018

Hello everyone,

This is a little recap of our skype meeting of September 30, 2018

First off we talked about what we are currently researching and working towards, including module one, two and three people. This led to us discussing that we need to always be constantly aware of the action that we as teachers also need to be learning, and the topics shouldn't be about our own experiences, but should also contain more objective observations of what our students/pupils/peer are experiencing, and how we can reflect upon, and learn from their experiences.

My feelings have always been that learning has to be mutual in order for growth to happen, by growth I mean by development/improvement, leading to a greater achievement for everyone involved.

Reflecting back at the conversation. my own thoughts lately have been directed towards the affect, and importance of culture, and diversity in teaching styles, and leading to the type of people more attracted to learning various styles of dance, and where that would lead to when it comes to learning outcomes, from a series of set contained experimental labs(?).

The next topic that was addressed, I believe by Hannah was making sure that everyone was aware of the inevitable experience of being disappointed by the level of participation in research by research subjects when it comes to "work" that they need to do, in this case the "work" consisted of a survey I am guessing by how the conversation went.

On this topic my reflecting thoughts were "is there a possibility the relationship status between the researcher, and the research subjects holds a bearing upon the level of participation of the research subjects?" I am curious to see how my own research subjects respond to anything I give them when the time comes.

The next element of conversation was led by Dilini, and was based around similarities, types of dance that work well in combination, and creating social networks around the world to share ideas and generate discussion (this is my own interpretation of the underlying discussion, and Dilini may have been meaning something completely different, also my thought on this, isn't what we are doing in the MAPP an example of the same thing regarding social networks internationally?)

which leads me to thinking about international culture, and how different early beginnings will have a strong bearing on the outcomes even after several hundred years of global interaction and cultural exchanges. =>=> Language is at the base of every culture, and dance is the international language. (sort of paraphrased, and sort of my own words, if you know about the dance international language thing in more detail please comment below about the source!)

This led to Dilini speaking of her students various ages, which then led me to thinking about my own school, and my own children (I have three daughters) and thinking perhaps culture is not limited to location, language, and nationalities, perhaps culture could also be related to maturity levels, and age?

This then led to a GIANT discussion about assessment and evaluation. I have been reading a lot about evaluation and how it fits into education personally, but I decided to listen and see what people would say by themselves, the results were very interesting. regarding formative assessment and summative assessment.

(This led me to start thinking about what if knowledge is truth, and in dance we teach the knowledge of dance, and therefore dance = truth then how are you able to convert the dance(truth) back into knowledge?......this may seem like a stupid train of thought but hey, I am dyslexic, and my mind works in mysterious ways)

My next thought was "you mus understand where a student comes from, to be able to understand where they can go, how to get there, and how to evaluate their arrival at their final destination. This will be a very difficult, and intuitive process that could be very much analyzed as a series of studies........"

We then talked about Disability, evaluation, culture and society (I group them together), and ethics.


How do you assess art, in the Merriam-Webster Collegiate Dictionary 10th edition it states that "art is a  personal, analyzable creative power" therefore, why do we keep trying to analyze dance (dance is a form of art)? as soon as we analyze it, aren't we are making it into something that becomes non-art?
 not only is Dance and art form, being the teacher, and the assessor, we are talking about a system riddled with conflict of interests, consisting of relationships, empathy, an international communication that is sending different messages to everyone who watches it (it doesn't matter what technique or style you are using).

My interpretations for assessment of dance is that it is relative and of value only to the choreographer, or teacher, (if assessing students, or pupils). If it is a professional artist then assessment becomes only relevant to the artist. This is all arguable.

This is all I think I should write in this post, as it is getting long, and my brain is going crazy again thinking about so many thoughts at the same time, and collating them all together is getting difficult to concentrate!

I will write again soon, thank you for reading, and please post any discussion and comments below! I look forward to as much feedback as I can get because I never know what I am really saying.

Here is a link to the Down's Syndrome company I was speaking of in Colombia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3rGEK6n9-8

I hope you like it!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Moving Forward

Where am I now and how has the MAPP helped me as a teacher. I feel as though I have learned through the process of the MAPP that my skills...