Friday, February 8, 2019

Algorithms, bias, ethics and me.

Watching the Ted talks that were recommended to us by Adesola on her blog. These videos actually made me think more about the presenter's voices and presentation than the content itself (at least immediately following observing). I watched each of the videos in their entirety only due to the idea that I thought it would be a good idea as I feel the videos are being recommended due to being posted on Adesola's blog. This leads me to think more in depth about my personal bias towards people. Normally I would just turn a video like these ones off and not bother to watch them, mainly because I have a hard time listening to the tone and pitch and vocal fry they have both incorporated into their voice and speech. I have realized that many times when there is something irritating to one individual about certain people and the way they present themselves it can be difficult for the listener to self-motivate to fully listen to what presenter is saying, let alone try to understand it. When the speaker is not being well received by the listener there could be large amounts of learning opportunities lost. This thought is in conjunction with the ideas that the two speakers are talking about when they are speaking of an algorithm and the unforeseen biased associated with them. I would never have dreamed that a computer using facial recognition software wouldn’t necessarily be able to recognize my face from someone else's face, or even if it would be recognizable at all. Thinking about ethical some of the considerations that could be associated with the idea of biased computer software, I might be able to compare myself to one of the developers of the biased facial recognition software without knowing that I am being biased (are people biased without knowing that they are biased until someone points it out to then?) When someone created something such as the people creating the biased facial recognition computer software, could it be that they are only aware of an idea that focuses on developing the facial recognition software to be able to recognize the faces of people that the developer knows personally, or has been acquainted with within his or her life?, and could I be an equivalent to the software developer when it comes to dance? This leads to me thinking about my place in dance and my individual views derived from my personal experience with dance. How would my position be viewed by another individual involved with dance of who has shared no experience that I would have? For example, in the MAPP there are dance professionals from other parts of the world who specialize in other forms of dance. How could one possibly consider that others would even be able to relate to anything I do? And why would they care? These are questions that I need to think more about throughout the MAPP and my teaching profession and to see how I may be able to move forward through thinking in order to achieve a deeper understanding of what we do.

2 comments:

  1. A building of awareness to our biases can only assist in thinking twice. Twice thinking everything makes me feel vulnerable and self-doubting but if we can grow in sensitivity to others and work together then can we change? Do we all see the same face? Apparently our first partners are similar to our fathers/mothers if we loved them. How aware are we of preference? What is it based on? Can over-analysis drive us all mad?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an interesting observation to bring our potential first love preferences into perspective as well. We could only become aware of something once we learn of a reason to be aware of it, or ponder an issue that has arisen due to a potential different perspective. Over-Analysis could drive us mad, perhaps we could learn when enough is enough, or embrace the madness?

      Delete

Moving Forward

Where am I now and how has the MAPP helped me as a teacher. I feel as though I have learned through the process of the MAPP that my skills...